Sunday, October 07, 2007

San Diego Surprise

My trip started today with a flight to San Diego. Tomorrow will be a work day with some local accounts. I will continue to Honolulu on Tuesday morning. For the long flight (with layover in Dallas) I took "Treason's Harbor" the 11th book in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Matrin series. The series was the basis for the Russell Crowe movie "Master & Commander," a film I enjoyed enormously. The book proved to be another good read, I've read the previous ten so far, and really made the time pass quickly.

By the time I got to the hotel it was early afternoon. So, I flipped through the brochure rack in the lobby for something to do and found the Maritime Museum of San Diego. Lo and behold, one of the five ships they have on display is the HMS Surprise, the actual frigate used to film "Master & Commander". A little further down the road was the WWII era aircraft carrier USS Midway. Needless to say, I was shortly on my way.







By the time the afternoon was over, I had toured six ships including a carrier and a soviet Foxtrot class submarine. I'm looking forward to adding another submarine and battleship to the list by the end of the week.

0 comments:

 

About Me

The first 'grown up' book Paul Crozier ever read was "War Fish" by George Grider. Since then he has spent most of his life researching the U.S. Submarine Force in WWII and USS Wahoo (SS-238) in particular.

Dedication

This blog is dedicated to all who have served in the U.S. Submarine Force. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Admiral Chester Nimitz

"We shall never forget it was our submarines that held the line against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds."

War Fish Blog Copyright © 2010 | Community is Designed by Bie Blogger Template